20 Mar INTERSOS – MEAL Manager – Ucraina
INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a MEAL Manager da inserire nella sua operatività in Ucraina. Durata: 6 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature 21 Aprile 2023.
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: MEAL Manager.
Duty station: Dnipro, with regular field visits to other locations.
Starting date: 01 May 2023.
Contract duration: 6 months (renewable).
Reporting to: Country Director.
Supervision of: 3 MEAL Officers (national).
Dependents: non-family duty station.
General context of the project
The war in Ukraine, which started on the 24th of February, shows no signs of abating, and continues to drive increasing humanitarian needs across the country. The most recent verified figures record more than 11,000 civilian casualties since the war began, including 4,889 people killed and 6,263 injured. The real numbers are likely much higher, but already exceeds the verified 10,982 civilian casualties reported in the previous 8 years of conflict in eastern Ukraine. The number of internally displaced persons (IDPs) has now dropped from a peak of just over 8 million, however the majority (3.9 million) continue to be from the east of the country, the main focus of the current Russian offensive (IOM), with many IDPs coming from Kharkivska, Zaporiska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts. Access concerns and humanitarian needs are particularly high in eastern Donetska and Luhanska oblasts where the conflict is intensifying and critical infrastructure damages prevent civilians from accessing basic services.
INTERSOS started working on the Ukraine crisis from the very beginning of the conflict, first through a regional response with operations in neighboring countries (Poland and Moldova) and subsequently within Ukraine (since March 2022). Today INTERSOS is present in Lvivska, Vinnytska, Poltavska, Odeska and Dnipropetrovska Oblasts with bases of operations and warehouses in Lviv, Vinnytsia, Poltava, Odesa, Kyiv and Dnipro allowing a wide geographical coverage. Moreover, INTERSOS is in the process of expanding operations in Odeska and Dnipropetrovska. INTERSOS is currently implementing Health, Protection, NFIs and WASH interventions, funded by UNHCR, SV, OCHA, GFFO, AICS and ECHO encompassing several components: distribution of medicines to Regional Health Departments and shelters and equipment for clinics, Cash for Health, mobilisation of Protection mobile teams, establishment of community-based protection mechanisms, case management for CP/PWSN cases, psychosocial support (PSS), Protection Monitoring (PM), and distribution of material assistance to vulnerable individuals and households.
General purpose of the position
The MEAL Manager supports the Programmes Coordinator on the good implementation of MEAL processes and activities throughout the project cycle and as per the MEAL plans, and works closely with the Head of Mission for accountability and complaints management. He/she manages and provides support to the MEAL Officers at base level.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- In coordination with the Programmes Coordinator, and in accordance with INTERSOS practices, leads on the development and implementation of the organisational MEAL system for the Ukraine mission, ensuring accountability to donors, clusters, and beneficiaries.
- In coordination with the Programmes Coordinator, develops and updates monitoring tools to facilitate accurate data collection.
- Follows up with the MEAL Officers on the timely implementation of MEAL surveys (PDMs, internal evaluations) in the field as per the MEAL plans, and supports in the data analysis of the surveys.
- Participates in regular meetings with the programmes team to follow-up on programmes implementation and adapt MEAL activities accordingly.
- Ensure monthly field visits to main locations where projects are implemented, to work with the MEAL Officers and to monitor INTERSOS ongoing programmes.
- Sets up project databases at the beginning of each project with the support of the MEAL Officers.
- Supports the programmes team in the creation of data collection tools, when needed.
- Develops and improves dashboards as per request by the Programmes/Technical Coordinators.
- Ensures regular updates of the indicators reporting databases and reports project indicators to clusters on a monthly basis.
- Supports the MEAL Officers in formulating recommendations in the MEAL reports to improve the activities, and the follow-up of such recommendations.
- Promotes all aspects of MEAL to support the creation of an organizational culture which prioritizes quality programming.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues and ensures MEAL system is understood and supported at field and national office level.
- In coordination with the Head of Mission, as well as the HQ Internal Auditor, develops the Mission’s Complaint Feedback and Response Mechanism (CFRM).
- Manages feedback and complaints collected in the field and ensure a proper follow up.
- Raises awareness about the CFRM in the field, when necessary.
- Reports any sensitive complaints immediately as per INTERSOS SOPs.
- Ensures external accountability to donors through the implementation of timely and quality MEAL activities leading to timely and accurate reporting.
- Ensures that MEAL related soft and hard versions of tools and files are properly archived, secured and easily available upon request.
Human Resources Management:
- Is responsible to recruit positions of his/her team, with the support of the HR department.
- Welcomes and briefs new employees working under his/her direct management.
- Manages and supports the staff under his/her direct management.
- Evaluates the performances of his/her team members.
- Ensures MEAL Induction to new Programmes staff.
- Ensures weekly meetings with the staff under his/her direct management.
- Ensures monthly planning of the MEAL team under his/her direct management and reports to the Head of Mission.
Programmes Design and Reporting:
- Ensures that MEAL is an integral part of the programmes design stage and features in all proposal development.
- Advises the Programme team and Technical Coordinator in the development of indicators and means of measurement at proposal development stage.
- Ensures that MEAL resources are included in proposal development and work.
- Reviews the reports drafted by MEAL Officers.
- In coordination with the Protection Coordinator, review monthly Protection Monitoring Reports drafted by the Protection Information Management Officers.
- Supports the Programmes Coordinator in the production of high quality analysis reports to illustrate INTERSOS’ impact, including evidence of good practice and replicable programmes, and ensure that they are communicated appropriately.
- Trains MEAL Officers or any other programmes staff on Kobo and other data collection tools, as needed.
- Trains programmes team on MEAL activities, if required.
- Identify training needs for the staff under his/her direct management.
Required profile and experience
- University Degree in a related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience in a MEAL department in emergency contexts.
- Previous working experience with NGOs in humanitarian contexts.
- Previous working experience working in active conflict or post-conflict setting.
- Excellent computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Strong background in data collection, data analysis, and presentation.
- Strong knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- Strong experience in data visualization tools.
- Excellent written communication and reporting skills (in English).
- Fluency in English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Ukrainian or Russian would be a strong asset.
- Strong motivation and adherence to the humanitarian principles and the mission of INTERSOS.
- Availability to travel on national territory.
- Flexibility in working hours.
- Strong attitude for teamwork and collaboration within a complex organisation.
- Good leadership skills.
- Confidentiality, respect, and non-discriminatory attitude.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply at the following link.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
More information are available at the following link.