20 Mar INTERSOS – Emergency Programme Manager – Siria
INTERSOS sta selezionando un/a Emergency Programme Manager da inserire nella sua operatività in Siria. Durata: 8 mesi. Tipo contratto: Co.co.co. Scadenza candidature: 31 Marzo 2023.
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Emergency Programme Manager.
Duty station: Damascus 30% – Hama 70 %.
Starting date: 01 April 2023.
Contract duration: 8 months (renewable upon funds availability).
Reporting to: Country Programme Coordinator.
Supervision of: TBD.
Dependents: non-family duty station.
General context of the project
The Emergency Programme Manager will be responsible for managing the implementation of several projects kicked off to respond to the consequences of the earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria on the 6th of February 2023. INTERSOS is responding through multi sectoral interventions implemented in the governorates of Hama and Idleb, including but not limited to: distribution of Winter Kits, Dignity Kits, Hygiene Kits, Core NFIs, procurement and donation of pharmaceuticals and medical consumables to health facilities. INTERSOS operates through Mobile Medical Units across the most affected locations along with providing PFA, Psycho-social support and individual case management to displaced individuals residing in temporary shelters and hosted by local communities. Finally INTERSOS is starting up the technical assessments to carry out rehabilitation works of public schools affected and damaged by the earthquake, which will be comprehensively supported to restore boys and girls well being and a conducive learning environment.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the Coordination team, define and plan project objectives and priorities, identifying humanitarian needs, analysing context and humanitarian issues at stake, risks and constraints and calculating human and financial needs. Contribute, in collaboration with Head of Mission, Country Programme Coordinator and Technical Coordinators, to the implementation of activities in the field and internal coordination among relevant team members in order to efficiently ensure objectives are met and improve the targeted population’s humanitarian situation.
Main responsibilities and tasks:
- Represent INTERSOS within Hama and Idleb programmes team and stakeholders. In close consultation with the Head of Mission, Country Programme Coordinator and the Hama Head of Base, develop institutional contacts with local government and national partners at project level (civil society, NGOs, sectors focal points, local authorities, Ministry representatives, UN agencies and donors, etc.) in order to coordinate INTERSOS activities and ensure their greater effectiveness within the local context.
- Observe the political and humanitarian situation in the program region in order ensure that INTERSOS’ charter, policies and image are respected with regards to national employees, populations, authorities and partners.
- Together with the Coordination and programme teams, evaluate needs by identifying the population’s status, analysing the context (environment, actors involved, etc.) population movement, emerging needs and associated risks and constraints in order to define priorities and tailor planning and to calculate material, human and financial resources needed.
- Propose and carry out exploratory missions and rapid assessment related to INTERSOS emergency response in the country, when requested by the Senior Management Team (SMT) , in order to better comprehend context, priorities, constraints and population needs and design new project proposals and/or projects’ revision.
- Prepare regular updates of project work-plans and related financial plans, ensuring timely and quality implementation in compliance with INTERSOS and donor guidelines and in line with the projects and overall sectoral strategies.
- Steer and supervise the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the emergency response programme in collaboration with the team, monitoring risks and threats, assessing progress made and detecting deviations and promptly proposing corrective actions. Flag emerging issues, challenges and promptly coordinate with SMT to propose efficient and timely solutions.
- Regularly provide reporting to the Country Programme Coordinator and other SMT members on projects’ evolution and propose corrections if needed.
- Elaborate the programme institutional memory, keeping written records of individual projects and disseminating information internally about achievements, challenges and lessons learned.
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant Coordinators, plan and organise the organizational charts, distribute tasks and workload among the teams, guiding their comprehension of the issues linked to the projects and the Mission through regular working meetings and feedback, in order to ensure an efficient deployment of the resources and the achievement of the expected goals.
- In coordination with the HR department and other relevant managers, contribute to ensuring proper application of HR policies and processes (recruitment, training, briefing/debriefing, evaluation, staff development, etc).
- In coordination with the HR department and relevant managers, identify training needs, build the capacity, coordinate, supervise and motivate staff, provide ad hoc training sessions and on-the-job training, individual follow up and coaching.
- Contribute, with the support of key protection staff, to ensure programme staff are trained on INTERSOS PSEA/CP Policies and that these policies are respected in the area of responsibility.
- Contribute to the programme team recruitment process screening CVs, correcting tests and conducting interviews when needed.
- Inform the field team on the instructions given by the SMT, promoting fluent, smooth written and oral communication and information flow and ensuring confidentiality .
- Contribute to ensuring INTERSOS security and safety protocols are fully respected in order to ensure safe working conditions for the project staff; report any issues of concern to the Head of Mission and other relevant Managers.
- Ensure the project staff respect INTERSOS rules and regulations, and adheres to INTERSOS Fundamental Charter Values and Code of Ethics, PSEA and CP Policies.
- Constantly monitor financial supervision of expenditure.
- Regularly monitor the mission financial journal and status of purchase requests and associated procurement ensuring the financial plan is constantly updated and project burn rate is on track.
- Contribute to supervising logistical and medical orders and project procurements, in order to ensure efficiency and early detection of obstacles and delays.
- Produce monthly internal reports and elaborate mid-term and final reports according to donor rules and regulation and INTERSOS Project Appraisal Tool, ensuring accurate data collection and timely submission.
- Conduct regular field visits to the project locations to ensure the quality of the intervention in compliance with the internal and donors’ standard
- Guarantee close coordination and interaction with the other Program Managers and Technical coordinators deployed in the mission, in order to ensure consistency and harmonization of modalities of implementation, tools, approaches etc.
- Any other task that may be requested by the Programme Coordinator or Head of Mission.
Required profile and experience
- Master degree in humanitarian action or international development, international relations or other relevant subject, or equivalent experience.
- 3 to 5 years relevant work experience in the humanitarian sectors.
- In-depth knowledge of Project Cycle Management.
- Previous experience in managing multi sectoral programmes.
- Previous experience in emergency response management and coordination is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in Distribution is considered an asset.
- Fluent English (written and spoken).
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset.
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously.
- Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Capacity to cope with stressful situations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff and other stakeholders.
- Ability to integrate and work well within multi-ethnic and multicultural teams.
- Ability to develop and maintain collaborative and positive relationships.
- Flexibility to live and work in uncomfortable premises.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply at the following link.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password and citizenship), sign-up and apply by attaching your CV in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references: two line managers and one HR referent. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.