14 Mar UNSSC – Communications and Outreach Officer – Torino
Lo United Nations System Staff College – UNSSC – sta selezionando un/a Communications and Outreach Officer per la sua sede centrale di Torino. Durata 1 anno. Scadenza candidature 19/03/2019.
Communications and Outreach Officer, P4
Vacancy: No. VA/UNSSC/004/2019.
Organizational Unit: UNSSC Directorate.
Duty Station: Turin, Italy.
Duration: One year, extension of the appointment is subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
Deadline for applications: 19 March 2019.
The staff college is interested in secondment of staff from organizations of the United Nations systems
UNSSC provides a work environment that reflects the core values: integrity, professionalism and respect for diversity. UNSSC is committed to ensure a work force with balance in gender and geographical distribution. Equally qualified women candidates and candidates from developing countries will be favourably considered.
As the learning institution of and for the United Nations system, the UN System Staff College (UNSSC) delivers learning programmes and provides a space for learning to UN staff and partners at all levels, in all functions and locations. Its inter-agency mandate allows the Staff College to work in partnership with a wide array of UN entities, inter-governmental organizations, academic institutions, and civil society organizations.
By fostering a common leadership and management culture as well as a shared understanding of the policy and operational challenges facing the UN, UNSSC helps the UN system deliver for the 2030 Agenda. In particular, UNSSC is expected to play a pivotal role in contributing to all three pillars of current UN reforms efforts through the development, co-ordination and provision of cross-cutting learning programmes which impact on all agencies and staff.
This position is located in the UNSSC Directorate and is based in Turin, Italy. The Communications and Outreach Officer reports directly to the Director and leads a small communications team across UNSSC locations (Turin and Bonn). The incumbent is expected to lead and manage independently all institutional communications and outreach activities to position UNSSC as a preferred provider of knowledge and learning for the UN system and its partners.
The Communications and Outreach Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Designs and implements the overall institutional communications strategy, in line with and in support of UNSSC’s Strategic Objectives;
- Takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of all UNSSC communications campaigns and communications actions – in support of and working with UNSSC Programme Units – to enhance the impact of UNSSC’s output and visibility;
- Strengthens internal communications activities;
- Acts as content-manager of the UNSSC website and leads social media outreach;
- Assists in the preparation of project and programmatic documents/proposals and performs quality-control functions to improve UNSSC’s professional image vis-à-vis main clients;
- Drafts and coordinates the production of complex communications and outreach material, including institutional reports, newsletters, articles and magazines; edits drafts prepared by other staff;
- Provides expert advice to the Director, senior managers, and other UNSSC personnel on a range of communications issues, methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves
- communications/public relations issues/problems;
- Evaluates results and impact of communications activities; reports on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN and UNSSC;
- Carries out other related tasks as may be directed.
- Formulation of a coherent and effective UNSSC narrative;
- Creation and implementation of a comprehensive communications plan and effective communications activities across UNSSC Units and locations;
- Enhanced visibility and strategic positioning of UNSSC within the UN system and vis-à-vis key stakeholders;
- Improved quality of UNSSC communications material and activities;
- Provision of sound advice and services to Programme Units in the area of strategic communications and outreach.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to effective communications strategies; Ability to coordinate and manage complex communication campaigns and events; Ability to conceptualize and contribute to design of communication campaigns that target larger audiences; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Establish effective collaboration and partnerships with officials at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; Adjusts priorities as required; Allocate appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Collaboration and Teamwork: Establishes good relationships with all stakeholders; identifies and creates opportunities for internal and external partnerships; works with others to develop a collaborative vision and fosters commitment to teamwork; shows respect and sensitivity to differences in gender, culture, religious faith and ethnicity; manages conflict effectively, balancing collaborative approaches with assertion when necessary.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, international relations, social sciences, public administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with one additional year of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in external communications, public information, journalism, or marketing. Experience working in a multicultural environment, in an executive education environment, and/or in the United Nations is a distinct advantage.
Outstanding command of written and spoken English is required; Knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
Submission of applications:
The application (in English) should include the following:
a duly completed, updated and signed P11 for this link
a motivation letter elaborating in a concise style why you consider yourself qualified for this position; and
The application should be submitted preferably by e-mail to email@example.com with a subject title of “Application for Communications and Outreach Officer: VA/UNSSC/004/2019”.