29 Lug UN PONTE PER – Child Protection Specialist – Siria
Un Ponte Per sta selezionando un/a Child Protection Specialist da inserire nella sua operatività in Siria. Durata: 6 mesi con possibilità di estensione. Scadenza candidature: 29 agosto 2021.
Child Protection Specialist – Siria
Location: North East Syria (NES) / Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI).
Period: 6 months with possibility of extension.
Closing date: 29 August 2021 (applications on a rolling basis).
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Context presentation: Un Ponte Per (UPP) is an international humanitarian organization, based in Italy. Originally named Un Ponte Per Baghdad (A Bridge to Baghdad), the association became simply Un Ponte Per after the extension of its work to the Balkans, as well as other Middle East and Mediterranean countries.
UPP is currently active in Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine, Serbia and Kosovo alongside civil society organizations. In Italy and in Europe, UPP works to promote peace and disarmament, human rights, and refugees and migrants’ inclusion. UPP strongly rejects war as a solution to international and national conflicts, it exerts restless efforts with the ultimate objective of developing more equal and peaceful coexistence up to social cohesion.
For further information please refer to our website: www.unponteper.it/en/.
Entering year 9 of the Syria crisis, conflict continues to expose civilians to acute humanitarian needs in health, and protection. In North East Syria (NES) widespread displacement, destruction of basic services and increased exposure to protection risks is on-going. In response, UPP implements health and protection programmes through funding of several donors, including EU, ECHO, AICS and private funding.
UPP and local partners aim is to improve the physical and psychosocial wellbeing of the conflict-affected population with a view of building the capacity of local actors and the resilience of communities in NES.
Scope of work
In coordination with the relevant Desk Officer at HQ and the Protection Coordinator, the Child Protection (CP) Specialist will support the set up and implementation of Child Protection in Emergencies programmes (CPiE) in North East Syria (NES).
The CP Specialist will join UPP Protection technical team and will be responsible for backstopping and capacity building to establish CP case management and other services through local partner’s Child Friendly Spaces (CFS) and Community Centres. CP Specialist will contribute to ensuring protection mainstreaming in health facilities as well as outreach strategies through community awareness, with a focus on youth and CP concerns.
The selected candidate will work closely with UPP and partner organizations on developing coordinated, integrated services to adequately respond to the protection needs of the most vulnerable, including children.
- Provide technical advice on all issues relating to child protection (CP) in line with UPP workplans and mission strategy;
- Provide supervision and technical support to UPP and partners to implement activities in line with international CP standards and internal SOPs;
- Provide technical support to the implementing partners in order to strength local capacities in CP response;
- Develop and lead the roll out of internal SOPs on CP Case Management services in accordance with Data Protection and Information Protocols (DPISP);
- Support the set-up and implementation of Child-Friendly Spaces adapting to local partner and children needs in context;
- In coordination with protection and health teams, ensure upholding of CP/protection standards in health facilities through safety audits, technical review of tools and practices;
- Provide support to protection outreach strategy, including the design and implementation of awareness campaigns (interpersonal violence, early marriage or other CP concerns);
- Revise and monitor a CP M&E plan, in coordination with Protection and MEAL teams, including data collection and CM tools;
- Participate in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with Protection Desk Officer and Coordinator.
- Build the child protection capacity of UPP staff and implementing local partners, with a specific focus on child participation and youth engagement, case management services and PSS activities;
- Develop and roll out tailored training modules for child protection and health partner staff;
- Promote and implement effective measures to identify, prevent and reduce protection issues;
- Oversee and contribute to the missions integrated protection mainstreaming in health and other sectors through community-based protection methods;
- Build capacities in child protection participatory approaches and mainstreaming in accountability to affected populations (AAP);
- Develop and implement country level child protection plans in coordination with Protection Coordinator, Desk Officer and HoM, as part of the Protection Strategy.
- Support Project Managers and Protection Coordinator in the recruitment, management and supervision of UPP and partners’ local protection staff;
- Provide mentoring and guidance on CP issues to field staff in direct contact to persons of concern;
- Ensure adherence of staff to Child Safeguarding and PSEA principles.
Monitoring & Reporting
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required;
- Monitor protection referrals and report on incidents through working relations with program staff, partners and other stakeholders;
- Contribute to UPP data collection, child-friendly CRM and Feedback mechanisms to ensure Do No Harm and beneficiary accountability throughout the program;
- Provide technical input and substantially contribute to reporting (donor, internal, ad-hoc) including monthly/interim reports, assessments and evaluations, in coordination with PM, Protection Coordinator and relevant Desk Officer.
Coordination & Representation
- Maintain close coordination with Project Management and technical teams;
- Liaise and maintain good relations with local partners, other INGO and with all relevant stakeholders;
- Stay abreast of developments in the area that have an impact on the protection environment and represent UPP at relevant cluster / working group and other meetings;
- Represent UPP and participate to donor meetings, upon request of HoM and/or Protection Coordinator / Desk Officer;
- Performing any other task relevant to the project and position assigned by the HoM, Protection Coordinator and the Desk Officer.
Education & experience
- University degree in Social Sciences, Social Work, Human Rights, International Affairs or related fields;
- 3+ years relevant professional experience in Community Based Protection, including 2 years in Child Protection;
- Experience in designing and delivering training programmes on protection and child protection in emergencies;
- Experience in Child Protection Case Management services, Youth / Child-Friendly Spaces and/or PSS activities;
- Experience in delivering technical guidance such as producing protection technical documents, assessments, evaluations and reporting on protection activities/issues;
- Experience in reviewing and aligning sector tools and strategic documents in line with protection standards;
- Commitment and adherence to PSEA and Child Safeguarding.
- Proven communication and behavioral skills to work directly with affected communities, including children;
- Proven record of positive collaborative experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, and others);
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and matching deadlines;
- Strong presentation skills and experience in delivering quality capacity building, trainings and workshops;
- Excellent computer literacy skills;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Solid Team working and management skills;
- Proactive attitude and Flexibility to Mission travel requirements are essential skills;
- Ability to travel in the Middle East and in the EU.
- Prior experience of donor procedures including EU is an asset;
- Experience in Protection Mainstreaming:
- Experience delivering remote technical guidance and trainings;
- Knowledge of the Middle East context and relevant local actors;
- Knowledge of Arabic / Kurmanji is a strong asset.
Un Ponte Per is an International NGO committed to diversity and inclusion within its teams, in line with the principle of non-discrimination. UPP encourages all candidates irrespective of gender, religion and ethnicity including persons with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization.
UPP upholds all the minimum standards in terms of Ethical Conduct and strives to increase its standards over the minimum. Zero tolerance is reserved to Sexual Abuse and Exploitation and to Child Abuse, Violence, Harm, Injury and Negligence. By applying, any candidate assures that s/he has never breached any standard in terms of SEA and Child Safeguarding and the s/he won’t in the future. For the protection of beneficiaries, communities and partners, UPP will conduct extensive reference check and vetting on shortlisted candidates, also over the contacts indicated by the candidate. Candidates are alerted that the required background check might compromise their privacy. Shortlisted candidates shall promptly provide an up-to-date criminal background check
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for three Professional References (relevant and recent) to: email@example.com. Please reference “CP Specialist – Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application.
For more information please visit the following link.