25 Nov INTERSOS – Project Manager / Head of Base – Camerun
Intersos sta selezionando un/a Project Manager / Head of Base da inserire nella sua operatività in Camerun . Durata: 12 mesi. Scadenza candidature: 09 dicembre 2021.
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Project Manager / Head of Base.
Duty station: Bamenda (with frequent visits to other bases in NW/SW).
Starting date: 01/01/2022.
Contract duration: 12 months.
Reporting to: Head of Mission.
Supervision of: UNHCR Protection Officer (expat), 4 Security Officers, 1 National Logistician, 1 Finance Officer and national PMs in NWSW.
Dependents: Non-family duty station.
General context of the project
Since 2016, the English-speaking regions of Cameroon have experienced a security and humanitarian crisis that has caused nearly 573,900 IDPs, 383,600 Returnees and 68,000 people who sought refuge in neighboring Nigeria. INTERSOS has been present in these regions since2018 with a protection monitoring program funded by the UNHCR. In 2020 and 2021,protection activities were strengthened, particularly at the response level with funding from VS and covered all 13 departments of the two regions. INTERSOS also implements GFD and nutrition activities in the 2 regions in partnership with WFP. Since October 2021, INTERSOS has started a mental health project in collaboration with a local partner in the South West.
General purpose of the position
- The Project Manager / Head of Base proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context and ensures its implementation once validated;
- He/she is responsible for the overall management, economic and financial administration of the UNHCR project and for its entire implementation process, ensuring the achievement of its objectives and results;
- He/she checks and ensures that other projects ongoing in NWSW are carried out in accordance with the INTERSOS charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures;
- He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly and supervises resource management;
- He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone;
- He/she ensures the global supervision of all INTERSOS bases present in NWSW regions of Cameroon and its daily functioning;
- He/she is the Country Director’s direct contact and representative in NWSW.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Programme and representation
- Ensures effective planning, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation of the UNHCR funded project;
- Support the launch of new projects and/or new teams;
- Under the supervision of the Head of Mission, he/she represents INTERSOS for all interaction and negotiation, notably with UNHCR, other donors, and other stakeholders, including local authorities;
- Assurer la participation de INTERSOS aux différentes instances de coordination (clusters, groupes de travail, etc.);
- Maintain strong relations with local authorities, other NGOs, UN agencies, and other local actors with support of the coordination team also to identify new fundraising opportunities and partnership;
- Conducts regular meetings with program and support (as needed) staff to follow up on project implementation including revision of targets against achievements, identification of gaps in the response in order to define needed adjustments in the implementation.
Team Management & Human Resources Management
- Ensures coordination between the different projects ongoing in the area of intervention (i.e. SV, UNHCR, WFP);
- Ensures regular performance evaluation of project staff (national and international, as needed) in line with an internal regulation;
- Ensures timely recruitment of national staff, in coordination with relevant support staff, as per INTERSOS policy for staff recruitment;
- Ensures respect of and adherence to INTERSOS rules and regulations, code of conduct, and Charter of values;
- Ensures and proposes capacity-building opportunities for national staff.
Procurement & Finance
- Prepares and ensures the regular update of a financial plan;
- Verifies and approves purchase, in line with the budget and the financial and procurement plan;
- Verifies regularly the bookkeeping entries in the INTERSOS accounting spreadsheets (PN): verifying budget line allocations, budget expenditure status against actual delivery and the financial plan for the project implementation period;
- In collaboration with Logistics Coordinator, ensures purchases of goods, services, supplies are in line with the relevant INTERSOS procurement guidelines and procurement plan (in particular, he is responsible of the procedures done under UNHCR ML funded project and is supposed to play the role of president of the evaluation committee);
- Monitoring, evaluation and reporting;
- Delivers timely quality reporting on project activities (Monthly, Mid Year, final report UNHCR project), including findings in terms of impact on individual and communities.
- Ensures coordination of support departments (i.e. administration, logistics, security, HR) at Base level. Ensures follow up on security related matters at the Base level in North West-South West. for all projects and staff;
- Be responsible for the Base Offices and Guest Houses (Buea and Bamenda) including follow up on the the security location, maintenance, finalization of the contract.
- Ensures regular update of the Comprehensive Planning Process (CPP) as requested by the Head of Mission. Contributes to the operationalization of risk prevention and mitigation measures set in the CPP;
- Oversee base-level access negotiations and mapping of security actors;
- Maintain contextual and security analysis in NOSO.
- Ensure internal and external communication at the field level in connection with the support services and the communication services.
Required profile and experience
- Advanced university degree in law, political science, social sciences, psychology, humanities or other relevant fields;
- A first-level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted instead of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum 3 years-long experience in project management in the humanitarian sector. Excellent professional competence in Protection sector (especially Protection Monitoring) is required. Previous experience in Africa is considered an asset.
- Management skills and leadership in humanitarian response interventions;
- Good project proposals and reports writing capacity in accordance with INTERSOS standards and donors requirements;
- Ability to work with a tight schedule, with little supervision and under pressure;
- Strong communication skills, written and oral, especially in managing relationships with the teams;
- Good knowledge of security management in humanitarian contexts;
- Prior experience in context with volatile security;
- Prior experience with negotiation for humanitarian access;
- Ability to work in a team and independently;
- Previous experiences in Africa (desirable).
- Fluent English skills (written, spoken and reading);
- Good knowledge of French is compulsory.
- Spirit of adaptation to difficult living conditions, and to security constraints;
- High skills in management and planning;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and partnership approach;
- Flexibility and ability to work in a difficult context, under pressure, and in an often-uncomfortable environment;
- Ability to communicate and work in a team and in a multicultural context;
- Ability to work in a highly volatile security environment and in basic living conditions;
- Respect for INTERSOS values/mission and PEAS policies.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link.
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform – i.e. if and only if it is impossible to submit the requested files through the adequate channel – you will be allowed to submit your CV and Motivation Letter (both in PDF version) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line ” Platform issue – SR-48-2203– Project Manager / Head of Base”. Please, bear in mind this is an exceptional measure, as there are allocated channels created for every job opening, which will make this process quicker and easier.
Please note that any application submitted via e-mail may take longer than our standard terms to be processed. Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.